Donate   |   Sign In   |   Join
GWIS History
Share |

 

1921

Established at Cornell University

1922

Becoming a National Organization

The first meeting was held on the evening of May 5, 1921
 by a group women at Cornell University interested in the status of women in scientific fields. Mrs. Adele Lewis Grant was chosen as the temporary 
chair and later appointed as first president.

 

 

Adel Lewis Grant, Founder

 

The constitution and bylaws were approved on May 24, 1921 and formally named the

SIGMA DELTA EPSILON GRADUATE WOMEN’S SCIENTIFIC FRATERNITY (SDE)

In March, the National Constitution was voted upon and unanimously accepted. The Wisconsin petition for a charter was approved and Wisconsin Club was admitted to SDE as Beta Chapter.

 

FIRST NATIONAL CONVENTION

First National Convention was held on April 20, 1922   

                                                                        First meeting of SDE Beta

Chapter, 1922

 

SDE STARTS RELATIONSHIP WITH THE

In December 1922, SDE met with the American Association

for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) in Boston.  Affiliate was granted in 1939. 

 

1926

1926 - 1941

FIRST HONORARY MEMBERSHIP AWARDED

Florence R. Sabin awarded first Honorary Membership.

  Florence Sabin, the first woman to hold a full professorship at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.

First special fund established by the transfer of $100 from the General SDE fund. Fundraising for the first fellowships began.

 

The formal Fellowships Fund was established in 1931 and awarded in 1941 at the 20th

Anniversary meeting.

 

 

 

The first Research Fellowship was awarded toFrances Dorris-Humm, PhD at Yale University for research in experimental embryology.

 1935

First SDE Newsletter Published

1948

Sigma Delta Epsilon News, Volume 1 Number 1 first published in 1935. In 1977, the SDE Semi-annual newsletter was replaced by 4 yearly issues of the SDE Graduate Women in Science Bulletin.

FIRST BOARD OF DIRECTORS ELECTED
Lela V. Barton (5-yr. term 1948–1952,  Kappa)
Mary L. Willard (4-yr. term 1948–1951, Nu)
Hettie M. Chute (3-yr. term 1948–1950, Kappa)
Hoylande Young (2-yr. term 1948–1949, Eta)
Stella M. Hague (1-yr. term 1948, Gamma)


1948 - 1957

 SDE Partners with United Nations

1964

Partnered with the United Nations (UN) Educational and Science Organization symbolizing the beginning of international representation. In September 1995, non-governmental organization (NGO) status was given in order to participate in the 4th World Conference on Women. In April 2013, Iota Nu Chapter was formed to better serve our growing international cohort.



GOALS REDEFINED

Organization adopts formal goals to assist American and foreign women with:

encouraging high school girls to enter scientific fields
orient incoming women graduate students to graduate work
help married women in science to continue their studies or hold jobs and still maintain a home and family
promote friendships among women in the various fields of science
support or sponsor programs enabling women to return to graduate school or to work when family responsibilities lessen
ascertain the specific problems of women in science and study ways to meet their needs

1969

1970

 OBJECTIVES BROADENED

The objectives of the organization shall be to provide a society for the promotion of interest in science, for the recognition of women in science, for the encouragement and assistance of women in the continuation of their scientific education, for the fraternal association of women in science, and for the furtherance of scientific thought in education through the establishment of awards, grants, and fellowships.

MERITORIOUS SERVICE AWARD ESTABLISHED

Established to recognize members who had given outstanding and devoted service to Sigma Delta Epsilon at the National level. First award given to Agnes Hansen in June 1971, longtime National Secretary.


FIRST INDIVIDUAL FELLOWSHIP FUND ESTABLISHED

On November 9, 1970 Eloise Gerry, a founding member of the Beta Chapter, passes away. Her estate was used to set up the Eloise Gerry Fellowships Fund, the first of the SDE 

fellowships funded by a single individual.The first Eloise Gerry fellowship award given to Rhoda E. Craig in 1975. This award was renamed in 1979 as the SDE Awards.

Dr. Eloise Gerry, Specialists in forest products research.

 

1971

Big Changes to Organization Structure

1976

National Office Established

 In December, the Certificate of Incorporation was amended to change our name to Sigma Delta Epsilon Graduate Women in Science.  New Bylaws were written and passed by the Grand Chapter. SDE/GWIS was also granted 501(c)(3) non-profit status.  

 1989

 

1993

FIRST HONORARY MEMBER FOR EXCELLENCE IN SCIENCE EDUCATION AWARDED

First award given to Jean E Simmons.


RUTH DICKIE SPECIAL PROJECTS FUND ESTABLISHED

Ruth Dickie, passes away in December leaving half of her estate to Beta Chapter;  half to national SDE/GWIS and was used to set up the Ruth Dickie Special Projects Fund.

 Ruth Dickie, Professor Emeritus at the UW-Madison

 1998

2002

FIRST HARTLEY CORPORATION FELLOWSHIP AWARDED

Using a grant received from the Hartley Corporation the first Hartley Corporation Fellowship was awarded.

FIRST NELL I. MONDY FELLOWSHIP AWARDED

From funds donated by Nell Mondy, a fellowship in her honor was awarded. Nell I. Mondy passes away in 2005, leaving her estate to be used to continue funding fellowships.

                                                Dr. Nell Mondy, Biochemist

 2008 - 2015

2016

GWIS Rebranded

FIRST SDE/GWIS EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

Dee McManus served as the first Executive Director from March 2008 - August 2015

For common usage, in January  the National Council votes to shorten the name of the organization to

Graduate Women in Science”.  On April 11, we launched our new brand, in an effort to continue to serve women in the scientific community as we go forward into the future.

 
Membership Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal